Browse By

Graduates Picture from flckr.com

Warning: This article contains strong and provoking words that may discourage some of the readers who are currently taking bachelor of science in medical technology and/or bachelor of science in laboratory science as it is called now.

UPDATE (3/12/2012): The comment section for this article is closed because it has gotten too long. You can find other articles related to medtech here.

BS Medical Technology (BSMT) or also known as medtech was one of the best science course one can take in Adventist University of the Philippines (AUP) during my study there. The sight of medtech clinical students (CD) wearing white uniform and black pants for the guys with a silver name tag shining sent an exclusive image for those who wear it.

The course was designed to only allows the smartest and the brightest to survive. It was famous for its hectic schedule, long laboratory hours, and difficult curriculum. All of these create a mysterious impression of the course itself and its students altogether.

Having all of these characteristics plus the banner that constantly announced the course’s top notchers in the Philippines medical technology board exam, the course receives high respect from the campus community. Thus the future seems bright for the medtech graduates.

However, the question is, is it true? Is the future really going to be dazzling for the medtech graduates, who are mostly the brightest students of the campus? This is the question that I’m trying to answer through this article.

Medical Technology Graduates Different Professions

Three years after I graduate from medical technology and I realize it is still a short period for concluding about the course’s graduate performance. However, from my observation there is no much difference though the period is lengthened. Most of the medical technologist are working in hospital and clinic laboratories, which does not provide much room for career advancement besides to become the laboratory department head.

Then there are medical technologist who work in hospitals but not necessarily in laboratories, they might work in other hospital departments.

The remaining of the medical technology graduate does not work in hospital nor clinic at all.

Different Motivations

Every individual has different motivations, something that drives the individual to choose what he/she choose. There are certainly many different reasons why someone chose medical technology as bachelor’s degree course.

I personally chose BSMT because I was going to take medical school (which deferred permanently) and also because for the course pride. I thought I deserve to be in one of the most respected course in AUP. I wanted to be one of the elite.

I know some of my batchmates who have motivation that is not so difference with mine.

Other medical technologists I know have different stories about how they took the course. One that I personally know said that she took medical technology because it was the course that has the shortest ‘pila’ (queue) during registration day.

There is no right or wrong when it comes to motivations why someone take BSMT. However, if money was one single motivation then I suggest the person to take a course shift form immediately and that person will thank me later on.

Why? Not because BSMT cannot bring money, but because it is too much hassle if making money is the only motivation. There are certainly other course that consumes less time and resource, and allow the graduates to work in a profession that can bring a lot more money than BSMT.

When The Brightest Is Not The Richest

This is the part that may disappoint most of the BSMT students.

I think I’m going to tell you upfront that some BSMT graduates I know make less money than other course graduates. Not only that, the BSMT graduates also have lower work opportunities than other course graduates.

Why?

It’s just the way it is. That’s how the real world value the medical technologist profession. In investing terms, the BSMT sadly gives lower Return On Investment (ROI) compared to other course degree.

But how could this possible?

I’m not really sure about the exact answer. But partly, it could be because of the market law of demand and supply. Somehow the demand for medical technologist is not that much compared to other profession, and thus the medical technologist’s salary may not be as good as the other profession.

But how about in US? I heard the salary there is good..

Yes. Fortunately the medical technologist salary in US is good enough compared to other coutries such as Philippines and Indonesia. But are all medical technologist will be able to go to US? I’m not sure about that. Plus, if you notice, other profession in US can give the same salary with medical technology, if not better.

The Lessons, Wisdoms, and Thoughts

Keep in mind that the reason why I write this post is not to discourage the BSMT students nor to disrespect any BSMT graduates. Medical Technology, in my opinion, is still one of the best course one can take in AUP.

If you have passion to be a Medical Doctor, then by all means try to take medtech as your undergraduate course. It is so far the best course you can take to prepare for medical school because you will find most of the medtech subjects repeated in the medical school. Most of the brightest medical school students I know are medtech graduates.

Or if you have passion to be a Medical Technologist, I also strongly recommend you to listen to your heart and take BSMT. There is no one more successful than someone who be the person who that someone wants to be. The field of medical technologist is indeed an interesting and challenging one.

But if you are not sure and you neither wants to be a medical technologist nor medical doctor, I suggest you to take other course that suits you better. Because the pain that needs to be undergone in medtech clinical division and internship is really not for everyone.

I personally believe that money is not everything and is not a measurement of success. Although I brought the issue of salary, it is not my intention to measure medical technology course using salary. I only wanted to present the fact that the medtech students should know.

Lastly, this post is not about discrediting BS Medical Technology course. But it is rather about asking one’s motivation taking BSMT, the course that I’m really proud to have as my bachelor’s degree.

130 thoughts on “Three Years After BS Medical Technology Graduation: Lessons, Wisdoms, and Thoughts”

1. Jenny Mendoza says:

hi, i just read ur article about medtech. i am a 1st year student of medtech and i really dont know if i can survive the pressure. i choose medtech as my course instead of ece because my grade and the result of my ncae is about science because im not pretty good in math.

2. djitz says:

hi jen, thanks for the comment!
    regarding ur situation, unfortunately the pressure of medtech can only be felt in the clinical division year. Before clinical, the pressure can hardly called as medtech pressure…
    are u studying in AUP?

3. nevins says:

go take computer science for your own sake!!!
    hahahha

4. anne says:

HeLo..I’ve just read ur post..I’m currentLy a medical technology intern and I strongly agree when u defined medtech as “nightmare”..I took up medtech coz I planned to take medicine after graduation..but ryt now,I’m currently having a refreshment of plans coz I just realized a few weeks ago that I wanted to work my profession first as medtech (in the future) before I take medicine so that I can earn money to help my parents in the finances of my future medicine course..what do u think?y’s ur med study deferred temporarily anyway?if u don’t mind..=)

5. djitz says:

hi anne!
    i really admire your decision in helping your parents and in taking med school.
    you might want to check what brother Ivan wrote in the comment section of “5th Tips for Medtech Intern” post, where he mentioned about alternatives position for medical technologist in hospitals.

I think I wrote ‘deferred permanently’ instead. :p
    Well, I felt that med school was not my calling back then, and I might perform better where my heart is at. If you really believe that med school is your calling, then I fully support you anne! 😀

6. MT grad 1972 says:

Bottom line, at this time of global crisis, it’s all about $$$$$$$$MONEY$$$$$$$$$. Here in the US, MT ASCP do NOT earn as much as a Registered Nurse (new grad).
    Problem is, there’s a freeze of visas for Nursing grads coming from that country. Have seen Med Techs switching to Nursing (here in the US) and never looked back.
    Once you’re here in the USA, there’s plenty of opportunities for Registered Nurses. CA and NY states pays higher than the national average but in CA, the cost of living is HIGH- i. e. (studio apartment will cost you $800. That was years back). In NY, the state tax will wipe out your salary. Same with the cost of living.
    Enough said.
    Bottom line, it’s your choice.

7. MT grad 1972 says:

Good luck folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. djitz says:

@MT grad 1972,

thank you for your comment and advice.. 😀

it’s indeed the choice of the students themselves, this article just tells the lessons, wisdom, and thoughts of medtech grads so they are better informed of what is ahead. 😀

9. Kevin Dato says:

Hi to whoever owns this website, i just want to know if i can survive Med tech as a degree? i just entered as a 1st year student of Medical Technology It’s because My Parents want me to Finish A degree in Any field of medicine so i took up med tech instead of Nursing because in my own opinion there’s too many Nursing Graduates nowadays and the Competition in stiff, from the start i really wanted to finish a course that deals with the English Language but i know that my Future is better if i’m going to finish a degree in medicine.. what should i do? should i shift to another course? or continue my Studies as a Med Tech Student? Please Help me i’m really Confuse. Thanks in advance 🙂

10. djitz says:

@Kevin,

Are you from Philippines?
    I think medtechs in different country have different opportunities, so if possible, ask the medtechs you know in your country about the opportunities. 😀

Career as Medical Doctor really pays off in the long run because generally the profession is storm proof in economical crisis, unlike most other professions.

In relation with your interest, I believe you can still fully pursue it after you completed your studies. However, you might feel a bit frustated during your studies if you cannot enjoy the medicine courses, because they will really take most of your time.

11. devhaugne... says:

hi…
    u know what?,,,After reading ur post i was somewhat like discouraged with the course i am in…
    i shifted BSMT from nursing and i am now a 2nd yr stude…
    it wasnt really my decision to take this course in the first place, i was just forced by my significant others…in fact, when i was still in high school, i didnt know this kind of course existed…
    now im in a course that i just started to like but i really hate the preparatory majors(chem)…and maybe i cant survive the n”nightmares” u are saying in the near future…
    i cant shift to other course co’z this is my last chance to study… what should i do?

12. devhaugne... says:

good luck to me and my new journey…lolz

13. Che :) says:

Devhaugne,, i think you’re familiar to me.. are you from SLU – Baguio City anyway,, from block 1 of SLU-CON?

14. desiry^_^ says:

,.,.halu!!^_^
    ahm im sAi,.i flt sad when i read ur thought bout “MEDTECH”my mom want me to take a med tech course,.,but im not too good in sciences & i havnt any fashion of thatT_T,.,but i think to pursue that course is great as my mom says,. i don’t know what to do!!im still confusing now what course im going to takeT_T!!! im a 4th yr student,.,.,elp MEh^_^

hi sAi! 😀
      wow, don’t get sad.. it’s okay to be confused now rather then later, and that was the reason I write the post.
      At least it was from my point of view that becoming a med tech requires determination and self motivation, without this I’m afraid you will easily discouraged along the way.

Like one of my medtech batchmate says, “u cant be gud at something…u dont really like.”

If you are not sure yet, I suggest you take several general subjects in your first year, so that if you are thinking to shift from science you won’t lose too much credits.

15. desiry de guzman says:

,.,halu,.,ahm thanx for the advise.,.,hmmmp^_^now i know u elp a lot!!i love ur site!!keep it up^_^GOD bless,.,

16. lynm says:

I will be attending a bs-medtech this fall of 2010. I agree with you about “money is not the answer to everything” when trying to choose a path in one’s career. This was a lesson learned from me!! I was a nursing student prior to changing my major in medtech. At first, I knew that there were more opportunities being a nurse in terms of job and financial security(here in the US). I quickly learned that nursing school was not for me after I started doing my clinical rotation. One should work at job that they find comfort and happiness as well as take pride in , not simply because of money and making your parents proud of you. In the end, it’s all about “you.” It will be “you” who will be getting up to get ready for work not your “parents” and if don’t like your job, “it’s going to be drive you nuts”!!

17. lynm says:

^ typo hehe
    It will be “you” who will be getting up for work not your “parents” and if you don’t like your job, “it’s going to drive you nuts”!!
    I guess I wasn’t meant to be a nurse…. God has better things stored for me =)
    Correct me if I’m wrong… but I think nurses are paid more than medtech in the US?!?

Hi Lyn, thank you for your comment! 😀
      I pray for your success on your new major as a medtech student. If you really have that passion to study medtech, I believe you will be a lot happier everytime you wake up in the morning. 🙂

As far as I know, nurse get higher salary than medtech in US.

18. andiwaslike says:

I’m currently an incoming Sophomore Medical Technology student. A year after what seemed like hell, here I am alive and finally going to the next level. The real difficulties of MT student’s life is 2 years ahead of me so I can’t say much about the difficulties.. I hope I’ll reach there and graduate!

1. djitz says:

Hi Andi, I pray you will not only pass, but also excel in your study! 😀
      If possible, find friends who you can study with so that you can encourage and help each other when facing some difficulties. GBU!

19. tomas says:

hi there med tech is one of the best course

Hi Tomas,

You got it right! 😀

20. Ivonne says:

hi,
    I will be attending BSMT this sy2010.. and after reading your post I felt somewhat like discourage me.. and ask many question to my self.. I choose to take up this course because i’m going to take a medical school after I finish this one like what my father’s plan for me…
    but my interest is about computer.. and when I’m in highschool I really plan to take up any course that is related to computer… but I really like to be a doctor someday, so if I failed to this course (BSMT). i know that my father will be very dissappointed to me..
    But I’m slightly good in genetics and chemistry when i’m in higschool..but i’m really good in our computer subject.

and now after reading your post and all the comments here.. I just think that maybe I’m just lack of trsut to myself because when my friends told me that in 1styear there are 200+ students of BSMT and 20+ only are going to graduate…so now i feel that I can do this,, I can survive… but tomorrow I can’t…

Can you help me, give me some advise to think positively
    or anything that you think its good for me, to decide before the class will start??

I’m from Philippines…

21. HIRING MED TECHS! says:

Don’t loose heart! You are in demand in the Philippines…Send your resumes at [email protected]…we are HIRING NOW!

1. djitz says:

To every MT who are looking for job, I don’t know about the Gen 1 HR reputation, but probably it worth to try.. 😀

22. djitz says:

Hi Ivonne, kumusta? 😀

Thank you for reading my post, but I’m sorry if I disappoint you. 🙁

First, for a positive encouragement I want to share a quote from Henry Ford.

“Whether You Think You Can or Can’t, You’re Right”.

What I want to say is, you haven’t even enter any class for BSMT so you shouldn’t think that you cannot pass it.

Regarding the statistic, I agree that it’s true. But not merely because the other 90% didn’t pass the subjects. Some shifted because of other reasons, such as family request, change of interest, etc.

Second, to think what is good for you is the harder answer. Because I don’t know you.. But I believe your parents do.

However, these are my advice.

You said that you like to be a doctor someday. It means that you are in the right track, because BSMT is the best pre-med course.

Regarding your interest in computer subject, do you mean you have interest in programming or in using computer itself?

Career in computer requires one to be techie somehow, that means to solve computer problems, both software and hardware. This area requires analytical thinking and logic.

My point is, don’t confuse the interest in using computer and having interest in computer field, because they can be so different.

So, my ultimate advice is, just continue your plan to attend BSMT this year. And similar to my suggestion to @Sai (see one of the comments), I suggest you to take more general subjects in the first year so you won’t lose many units should you shifted someday.

Give BSMT a try, and you will have better knowledge whether it will suit you or not.

God Bless You! 😀

23. Ivonne says:

..thank you for the advice…

i’ll try my best…

24. Young Scientist says:

Hello…. Med tech is Not only the Best Pre Medicine course but it is really the Best Pre Medical Research Scientist Course!!!!! if you find hard try to find Career as Clinical laboratory scentist then why not enter the Research Field. theres a lot of Opportunities and in terms of salary so good!!!!! or enter forensics. becoime forensic chemical officer/ Toxicologist/ DNA analyst. or Industrial Lab like be a corporate Microbiologist or if you want Biotechnology. hellow…. this could be the best answer why Medical technology is the Best course ever!!!!!!! and most of the Genius area take this.

By the way im a registered medical technologist by profession and now im currently working as Lead Clinical research associate/ Clinical trial manager. pharmacology. i am the team leader in our division. im working with pharmacist one as Quality assurance associate, one regulatory affairs associate then one as my (back up) also a pharmacist CRA and Local trial manager but me as the lead trial manager and Officer inchrage as Medical affairs manager

Hi Young Scientist! 😀
      It’s great you given another career option for our fellow medtech graduates to choose.
      You didn’t mention on what country you are currently working. Are you in the Philippines or any other country?

25. student says:

How hard is the clinical rotations?Do you take classes during the rotation?

@Student,

During my time, in Medtech clinical division we were having classes full time, and no work duty yet in the hospital. We started our work in the hospital in the last year, the internship year.
      Before I graduated, there was a bit change in that the clinical students already start working in the hospital, but only once a week, that is on Sunday.
      Different school probably have different policy. 🙂

26. iahn says:

i really appreciate this thing you have written…im not a bsmt student but my brother is…
    well,,i guess you are right by this article but its just a matter of choice..thank you for the information…

by the way im a bsece…:))

Dear Iahn,

Thank you! I’m glad you like my post, hope it can give something to thought for. God bless for you and your brother in both of your studies! 😀

27. Young Scientist says:

Im currently here in the Philippines but after i finnished all of my trainings abroad like in denmark,Malaysia, japan and China… wow i can say im a big time na here and abroad!!!! Clinical Research Associate is now a growing field. anywhere in the world Theres a place for Clinical Research Associate. Med tech what are you waiting for???? or if you want pursue to a laboratory Research

28. nins says:

hi! thanks for the one who owns this page. actually, I was just trying to search for some assignments on our MT subject then I got the chance to pass through this article..ow btw, I’m a freshman student of MedTech at UST.. and for the first months of my study, i can already feel the pressure.. I’m always left behind my classmates. I do admit that science courses are really my waterloo but still I have in me this dream of pursuing medicine someday.. It’s just that, I don’t know if I can still manage to go.. I have already disappointed many people.. and I don’t know if I can go further though this is really my dream! any piece of advice? 🙁

29. djitz says:

hi nins!
    You’re welcome, I’m very happy whenever someone is benefited from my blog post.

Wow! UST student ha, cool!

About your case, honestly I advise you to keep going if being a doctor is your dream. I know it’s not easy, but you’re probably just need to find ‘how’ to ace your study. From my experiences, getting good grades is not always because we have the brain, it can also be achieved because we have the ‘how’.

Try to discuss and befriend with the smart students in your school and you will learn from them. In this information age, what you need is really the right information.

So just persists for a while, give yourself a year or even two years to see how you perform. I believe if you have the strong will, you’ll make it!

30. Jessica says:

Ka djito…blog mu keren banget…i’m so glad after reading your blogs, which reminds me a lot of my CD and Intern days..u must be proud of ur alma mater and the course that u took…AUP bagged 2nd place last sept 16, 2010 in PAMET quiz bee for 3 consecutive years which put AUP 9th time as one of the TOP3 performing school in every PAMET-PASMETH QUIZ SHOW….all d best for u k’djito, actually Ma’am MC introduced your blog when I was still in CD…

Makasih Jess! 😀
      Yeah, I’ve seen it on Facebook. Certainly, the AUP Medtech keeps on doing great, I also heard from Marc about the change in curriculum to make it even better. God bless you Jess!

31. ibrahem salman says:

i want more deatils about medicine school..i’m now studying on nurse school and i wanna go to medicine school so i want to know what the steps that i could do it before i join to medicine shcool..
    with all my wishes/ibrahem

1. djitz says:

Hi Ibrahem, where are you planning to go for medical school?
      As for medical school in the Philippines, the first step is to take NMAT exam that is usually given in December. Then depending on the school, you will need to apply to the school at least few months before they start. 🙂

32. Angela says:

To lynm,

Hello, ex nursing student, I’m currently in my second semester of nursing school in the U.S and I’m really struggling and not sure this is the path for me…in our clinicals I find myself more drawn to the labs, and what is causing the patient to have a certain disease, and wondering about their abnormal values, and I’m not really liking the nitty gritty of nursing..I happened to stumble upon the Clinical Lab Scientist major and the more I find out about this profession, the more I feel like it is more my cup of tea so to speak, to the others on the site, I have about a month and a half break before the semester starts any tips on studying for Chem and Biology, and to the post about RN’s making more money than a Clinical Lab Scientist..I don’t think that is the case for new graduates, I think they both get paid about the same in the U.S, I think they both start out between $40,000-$55,000 depending on what part of the country you live in..also on some of the research I was doing new BSN grads are running into the problem that they aren’t getting hired because they don’t have any experience, but then they can’t get experience because no one will hire them, thus far I haven’t read the same for new grads for Clinical Lab Scientist, for CLS who are already in the profession, what are some of the positives of the job?

hi Angela,

I mentioned that RNs are making more money than medical technologist because I heard one of our school alumni who works in the US said that the nurses get paid few more bucks higher than medtechs per hour. But again, this might not be always true in all situation.

However, in regards to the job opportunity, I can say that there is still far more demand for nurses than medtech. Simply because for every clinic or hospital, there are more numbers of nurses than medtech. I’ve been to a medium size hospital where the lab is rather small and there is only a medtech working on that shift.

I’m not really sure what causes the demand for medtech is low, but one of it can be attributed to the advancement in lab technology itself. Whereas before everything must be done by a human, now machines can do all of them a lot faster.

I don’t think you can compare the job as nurses and medtechs because it will be a bit comparing apples and oranges. Nurses mostly deal with real people, while medtechs mostly deal with specimens.

33. Jake says:

Hi,
    im jake a registered medtech from ust. I’ve also passed the ascpi exam last dec. And also i had 1 yr hospital experience as of now. I’ve been to ust med school but only for 3 months because my grandma who supports my studies died of cancer so i decided to focus myself in this field and to start working so i can earn money. My question is, is it possible to work in US eventhough you have no relatives there? Where can i find such employers or sponsors ? And what is this clinical research assoc all about? How does this work? Job description?

34. Young Scientist says:

Hi,
    Yes it is possible to study and work in U.S even though you dont have relatives there.= ) Clinical Research Associate opportunities??? apply to Pharmaceutical Industry or Contract Research Organization like Quintiles and etc. CRA job is more in Clinical Research or Clinical Trial. example a Med tech practicing in Research Lab lets say in a Drug Discoveries or Diagnostic kit development. Research lab Scientist develop and discover it and test it to animals…while CRA working closely with doctors because the doctors initiate the therapeutic drugs to human and both CRA and Doctors Observe the “Efficacy and safety” of the Trial drugs! so CRA or in some Clinical Research Coordinator CRC document it or Record it in Case Report Forms or CRF! especially the Adverse Reaction causes by the trial drugs!!!! and make a Report for Drugs product development!!!! but the CRA role is not end up there!!!! CRA also act as Trial Manager!!! means to say trial management or project management!! you are the one who facilitates the submission of final protocol and other documents to Institutional Review board or ethics committee and other local agencies that involve in Trial Approval! there are times you are also involve in Protocol writing (wow) and feasibilities study of drugs(wow) and budget handling or management!!!! in CRA job skills needed are highly organized.Documentations,Management,presentation skills,Knowledge in Therapeutics drug you handle,knowledge in Local Food and Drugs agency regulations,and ICH-GCP. AND ETC. anyway trainings will be provided to you while you are working. but anyway before you proceed to Clinical Research Associate some Pharma and CRO industry especially for those dont have yet experience usually they give you Clinical Research Assistant or Research Assistant then after trainings and months of experience will promote you to Associate Role then to more senior role! those are some important roles of CRA but there still more.because it varies to the company you applying for! but somehow that is the basics Roles and skills that CRA posses = )

Regards,
    Jomel

35. Young Scientist says:

Dear All,
    Listen….. Medical Technology is One of The Best Course,Profession,Career,Job,stepping stone and etc.
    A typical Medtech works at Clinical Lab whether it is Hospital or doctors Clinics and etc. we all know that the practice of Modern Medicine would be impossible without the Tests performed by Highlly skills Medical Technologist/ Clinical Lab Scientists/ Biomedical Scientist.
    this is important in Doctors diagnosis,Treatment,monitoring,Prognosis and management other than therapeutic Drugs. = )

let me tell this first to everyone…today Medtechs are greatly indemand in the Philippines and Abroad!!! this job is so indemand and fullfilling! has a great reward and challenge. no one can replace Medtechs!!! in terms of salary… actually there are places that Medtechs are pay lower than other allied health profession. but it is also true that in some places Med techs are also get much high pay than other. and some places also medtechs got pay equal to others. tips…the more you are skilled med techs with years of experience and specialization the more you will have a very much high pay! then if you want more then do sideline in U.S or canada and other places Phlebotomist is different from Medtechs in the lab. or take Masters degree then be a Professor.

If you hold a Medical technology Degree there is a lot of opportunitites waiting for you…. not just only in the Clinical Lab settings! if you feel you are interested in Patient Management then pursue to Med school. Med tech is the best Pre Med! but if you wish to makes and brings difference in patience health then be a med tech… Medical Doctor is a Clinician while a Med techs is a Diagnostician. The Patients need A Doctor while Doctors Need Med techs!!!! =)

it is not true that because we are in the world of Modern science or automation the demands for med techs are going to decrease!!!! its a Big no!!!! because the machine cannot validate itself neither to check itself its accuracy and Precision. hence the needs of Med tech! next is…who will run the control? and calibrate the machine?! and we all know that automation is still not perfect. some medtechs still do manual counting ensure correctness of the result! and it is true that there are still many lab tests that still perform manually. and we all know that before you feed the sample in the machine the med techs still need perform some manual procedure liky mixing substrate in immuno assay and etc. automation? what does it really means?! this means! Med techs now really practicing what the profession is…. Technology…Performing test using sophisticated and automated analyzer. and Medical (Theoretical application and Correlation) this means med techs are now also upgrade to analytical= ) have you ever heard the thougts “Medtechs Think like a doctors (Analytical/Analysis/Correlation) and acts a Scientists(performing test using both Manual,semi automated and automated machine) = ) and we all know that the field of Medical technology is increasing like in Nuclear Medicine/Cardiovascular technology/Respiratory therapy/Pulmonology lab/sleep and neurology lab/Molecular biology Diagnostics lab and Biotech/ and Biomedical Engineering/

If you are a Med tech you can also land a job in Clinical Research or Clinical Trial/Industrial Laboratory like water testing and Food Microbiological Lab/ Product Development/Public Health Policy making/ if you want to land a job like CSI then go forensics/

Take M.B.A or Marketing course and put a Biomedical Equipment business.

Laboratory Research can provide very lots opportunitites for Med techs!!! be an Innovation Scientists. also Biomedical Engineering is promising also to Med techs be an Biomedical Engineer be an Inventor of Medical Device or Equipment. you know i have few known med techs that landed a job as Biomedical Technician or Biuomedical Representative / Clinical Application specialist/ Product Specialist then later on promoted as Managers….. others as Sales Directors/ others are Marketing Directors/ or Product Managers/ some become Biomedical Engineer wow…. and become Regional Head Director for Biomedical Engineering!!!! see…. and many more!!!!!!!! you know…why not aiming to become a First Med techs taht will received a Nobel PRIZE????!!!! think of that!!!!!

36. djitz says:

@Young Scientist,
    Awesome! Thanks for giving the motivations for Jake and all medtech in general.. 😀

37. Young Scientist says:

= )

38. jenna says:

mkkhabol pb ako kng magshift ako s medtech 2nd yr nursing..? auko kse ung duty sa nursing na mayinteraction with patient

hi jenna,

I believe I cannot give you definite answer for your question cause it depends on your situation and personal decision.
      If you can transfer all your credits taken to medtech that will be great! 🙂

Be reminded, at certain point as a medtech you will also have interaction with the patients.

39. david says:

a piece of advice to those who want to take up BSMT.

study everyday. manage your time well. and of course always look to God.

here are the subjects that I find difficult in 3rd yr:
    Clinical Chemistry
    Hematology
    Bacteriology
    Clinical Microscopy(specially the classical tests)

in Lab classes.. be sure o practice and do not hesitate whenever the teacher is there.. remember, you are there to learn.. its ok if you mess up..just dont mess up the practical exams..

stop worrying. it will only paralyze you and leave you unproductive.. most of your worries will not come true.

40. djitz says:

@david,

thanks for sharing your advice! I’m fully agree with all you mentioned. 😀

41. cole060610 says:

your post is right..but as you have stressed out…low salary might not matter that much if the passion to serve you countrymen is what makes you hold and cling to the profession…

42. cole060610 says:

for david, well said…

43. jake says:

I need an advise. I am currently 3rd year taking up MT. However, I failed on one subject and it prevents me to take up internship this May. I will be idle for 6 months since I can only start my internship in October.
    Please help. What are my choices?

44. djitz says:

Hi Jake,

From what you said, I’m guessing you are in Clinical Division now. I probably suggest you to talk to your Medtech Department chair and ask his/her advice.

Depending on what is your plan after MT, you might want to do or learn something else by taking other courses prior to your internship.

45. MRJ says:

h!..i need an advice from you,now im taking a BSMT a first year student this opening class i worry about it if i can survive this course because im not good in science.im taking it because its better than nurse course. but im willing to take this course BSMT and to do my best to study to have a good grades even though im not good in science.i know this course is pressure..please advice me i confusing if i can survive this course or i shift another course?

Hi MRJ,

If you really want to take BSMT, then I encourage you to go for it! Because you never know what you can achieve until you try it.

I should admit that the course BSMT is not an easy one, but so does actually with some other courses. The difference is you will try harder if it is the course you chose because you like it.

There will always way out to solve your diffiiculties. Check david’s comment above. You can also find friends who will support one another. 😀

46. Dav says:

Hie djitz!
    I must say I’m quite overwhelmed to read this article you’ve penned down. I was keen on going for BMT, but couldn’t find such a fine example by someone who has experienced it like you! Thanks for this 🙂
    I’ve plans to go for MD later after BMT. I hope taking up BMT would be rewarding. But, I just hate Chemistry like hell! Dont know how I’ll be able to deal with it 🙁 Are other subjects okay? Laboratory things really screw me up! So, should I ultimately take the plunge for BMT? Please list a few good universities for me, as I’m clueless about the better ones, if you don’t mind. 🙂
    I’m not residing in Phillipines, but would like to take up BMT in it. Do you have any idea about foreigners opting for it in this country? I need a bit of help as to who and how can help me to get an admission into one of the universities here. A little help from you would be appreciated! 🙂
    Thanks a lot again for this post. 🙂

@Dav,

Hi Dav, thanks for reading my blog post and I’m glad you like it. 😀
      If your ultimate plan is to be a MD, you have some options of premed courses other than BSMT. If you hate chemistry, then I don’t advise you to take medtech, because the course requires several more chemistry subjects compared to Biology or Nursing (5 chemistry subjects for medtech and 2 for Biology and Nursing).

For the good BSMT universities in the Philippines, I don’t have the exact ranking, but definitely my school is one of top in the list (Adventist University of the Philippines), it has almost consistent 100% board exam passing rate every year. Some other good school with more popular name include University of Santo Tomas (UST) and Far Eastern University (FEU). You can see the school passing rate here.

From what country are you from by the way? I myself was a foreigner when I studied in Philippines, and as always be the case to study in other country, you will need a student visa. You can contact the school through email or phone and ask what are the requirements they need to admit you. 😀

47. winter says:

hello =)

im blessed because i was able to browsed this website =)

the comments,questions and especially the advices given in this website gave me the extra motivation to continue my dream to become a medical technologist.. Im not that good in science. This is one of the subjects that i really got low aside from math.. But still, i want to pursue my dream, to become a medical technologist. i want to prove in myself that though science is one of my weaknesses, i can face it with a sweet smile on my face,determination and whole heart to achieve it =)..

Go for BSMT =))

48. winter says:

i really salute everyone who survived in the field of BSMT as well as those students who keeps on striving to be one =))..

Go BSMT..=)

1. djitz says:

@winter, thanks for the comment! 😀
      If you think you can, then you will be able to do it! If you can, create a study group where you can have a good discussion with your classmates. God bless you in your study.. 😀

49. Dav says:

Djitz again hey! 🙂
    I actually thought you’re a Filipino, my bad! You’re from which country? Well, I’m from India. Not so famous with Filipino people is what I heard. Being a minority population there, Filipinos disregard us and racism is seen. While others admit Filipinos are good at heart and no one disregards anyone. This again gives me second thoughts as choosing Phillipines for studies. Hope I don’t make a bad choice. (I have no clue about this, a little googling told me about this fact)! So is it really this?
    Regarding BMT, I think I should go for Bachelor in Biology then, what say? Is that okay for MD later? I can handle it pretty much well and that’s one of my favorite though gives you headache at times. 😛

@Dav
      I’m from Indonesia. Honestly, I never aware of racism case in Philippines, at least not in my school. 😀
      BS Biology is alright, it’s just as I’ve written in the post, BSMT graduates have some advantages because they have some of the subjects already and they also have hospital training experience. Are you going to continue studying MD in the Philippines also?

50. winter says: